Thursday, August 10, 2006

Kubuntu on HP NX6125

Right.. that went great :D

Now I would have lost had I given up halfway through the process..

Oh, I'm talking about Linux right now. I was installing Kubuntu on this HP/Compaq NX6125 laptop. I got very much frustrated halfway through the installation because of the damned 3D acceleration. What happened is, during the initial upgrading of packages, apt installed a new version of the kernel 2.6.15-26-386. This version didn't have the linux-restricted-modules package associated with it. As a result, even with a proper 'aticonfig' version of the xorg.conf, I didn't get direct rendering. The simple solution was to boot with the older 2.6.15-23-386 kernel, which had the restricted modules installed.

Once direct rendering was working, I simply followed the wiki instructions and went on to install XGL and compiz. That was risk, because I had no idea whether XGL worked on the ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) card on the laptop. It turned out that XGL ran fine. Now that's pleasure! All the night's hard work bore fruit and what a fruit!

So now I'm off to edit the wiki page for Gentoo and update the Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) section. And since I haven't slept the whole night, working on this thing for 12 hours straight and its nearly 7 am, I'll go to bed.. or maybe get some breakfast and then go to bed.

Btw, these links will definitely prove useful if you're installing Linux on this laptop:

Updates from HP: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/locate/64_6170.html#0
Kubuntu on NX6125: http://wuestenleer.de/ku/index.html
Gentoo on NX6125: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_HP_Compaq_nx6125

No comments: